Non Personal Information Collected Automatically
EOL permanently logs standard non-personal technical information, such as browser type and IP addresses of the website visitor’s computer, in order to better understand traffic patterns, technical needs, and improve performance.
We use third party analytic traffic analysis services to provide quantitative analysis about EOL usage patterns. This information does not include name, email, address or telephone about your visits to this website.
Personal Information You Provide to EOL
You do not need to provide any personal information to access the information on the EOL site.
In order to gain access to the interactive features of EOL, you must provide a user name and a valid e-mail address. If you seek curator privileges, you must also provide your real name and credentials if you have them. If you elect to use certain features on the site, you may be asked for additional personal information.
Other than this, EOL collects information that you choose to provide to it. You decide how much information to provide] and by which method you provide it, including without limitation:
- When you subscribe to a newsletter, subscribe to a RSS feed, or request news and information.
- When you register with EOL.
- When you participate in EOL by submitting content and feedback.
- When you provide personal information in connection with your participation in any of the forums or projects EOL makes available to the world.
- When you donate money to EOL.
What EOL does with Personal Information
EOL handles your personal information responsibly according to the circumstances by which you provided it.
EOL may share information with third parties if it has a good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to (a) take action regarding suspected illegal activities; (b) enforce or apply EOL’s policies or terms; (c) comply with legal process, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, or court order; or (d) protect EOL’s rights, reputation, and property, or that of EOL users, partners, or the public. Otherwise, EOL does not rent, sell, or provide your name or contact information to third parties.
- Registration: When you register with EOL you are asked to provide contact information and a profile. Personal information that you provide during the registration process is not available to the public. If you register as a curator, your profile will publicly identify your name, credentials, scope of interest, and institutional affiliation (if you have one). As a curator, your e-mail address will not be made available to the public; you should understand however that your name is associated with your curator activity.
- Participating in EOL by Submitting Content:EOL is committed to building an open access collection. If you help build the Encyclopedia of Life by submitting content (images, text, videos, or other information), your submission will be publicly archived. Do not include in your submission any personally identifiable attribution or other information that you do not want publicly shared. Please be aware that your username will be available to the public. You should also be aware that third party entities may use aggregate data which does not identify you for research purposes (e.g., to determine how citizen scientists interact with scientists and how EOL interacts with citizen scientists and scientists).
- Participating in EOL by Submitting Feedback: You may submit feedback directly to EOL staff via the website or using staff contact information provided on the website. If you include personal information in your feedback, it will be used only for the purpose of responding and providing follow up information.
- Supporting EOL by Making Donations: When you donate money to EOL via EOL’s donor page, EOL will use your personal information for the purpose of processing your donation. EOL donation capability is powered by Cybersource Corporation, a third-party e-commerce vendor. As such, your use is subject to the Cybersource’s privacy statement and other terms which govern the use of those services. The policies are available on their site. EOL also uses the personal information to contact donors about upcoming news and events relevant to EOL.
You Control Your Email and Communication Preferences
EOL sends e-newsletters and other electronic announcements to registered members of the site, to registered curators, to newsletter subscribers, to RSS feed subscribers, and to individuals and organizations that provide content to EOL. E-mail recipients may opt out at any time by following the "unsubscribe" instructions included in the e-mail message. Website registrants may subscribe or unsubscribe at any time to newsletters and other notifications by changing their preferences online with EOL.
Third Party Embeds, Links, and Technology
From time to time EOL embeds a third party’s technology or links to third party websites. The third parties operate independently of EOL and EOL does not have control over their privacy practices or content; EOL’s use of third parties is not intended to be an endorsement of the third party, its technology, website, or content.
EOL recommends that users read the privacy policies at all websites they visit.
EOL takes reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorized access to EOL information. Unfortunately, no website can fully eliminate security risks. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your registration and password information.
EOL does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact EOL at firstname.lastname@example.org. If EOL becomes aware that a child under 13 has provided EOL with Personal Information, EOL will delete such information from its files.
Your Comments are Welcome